Friday, August 15, 2014

Introductions Are Bulls**t

I grew up with video games and movies the way a lot of "normal" people would grow up with friends. I spent many nights chasing down Bowser or watching an animated Batman beat up the bad guys. I cried when Goku died (each time, really,) and I itched with anticipation for each new release of Halo. Loving these games, movies, and shows, I found myself ardently defending them whenever their quality was called into question. Simply put, I was a fan; I refused to let anyone attack these nostalgic figures of my childhood.

Having said all of that:


Video games, movies, television shows, cartoons, or any vehicle used to tell stories are not exempt from criticism just because they're popular. My preferences are not necessarily the preferences of the majority. That's fine. But it's important to recognize the difference between preference and criticism. Someone might not 'like' the Star Wars prequels because they thought Luke Skywalker was a better protagonist. That's a preference. But if someone says that the Star Wars prequels failed to elicit drama in action sequences because the characters never seemed to be in any real danger, then that's a criticism. The difference between the two is that one cannot be substantiated and the other can. One has no evidence to support its claims and the other does.

Well I've got some bones to pick and I've got plenty of evidence to go with 'em.


In this blog, I will address commonly held beliefs about games, movies, and cartoons, and give them a thorough second look. I will provide social commentary about these popular forms of entertainment, discuss interesting or disturbing trends, and possibly use a bit of adult language. In other words, on a semi-weekly basis, I will be taking a poke at a lot of the entertainment I, and so many others, hold dearly and I do not intend to be kind about it.

You can like it or not - that's your preference. "Let Me Tell You Why That's Bulls**t" is my criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment